Accident prevention: it’s an ideal concept but how do you make Accident Prevention happen? Project Management and Safety Professionals are faced with this challenge in their work environment(s). How do you prevent accidents from happening versus responding to them after they occur?
PM Vitals created a suite of software tools called Safety Indicators to assist leadership teams in creating an accident-free workplace utilizing observational based prevention strategies.
“In field” observation and intervention is the foundation of any prevention strategy. Often times this is not difficult to achieve if the work tasks remain consistent. However, in industries, such as construction, this can be extremely challenging due to the transient nature of the work.
Regardless of industry, if work task observations and intervention are performed properly, potential incidents can be identified, eliminated and communicated preventing future occurrence. However, the benefits do not stop there.
If observational data and intervention results are accurately documented in a consistent and retrievable manner, this information is successfully used to:
- Perform Trend Analysis for recognizing task failures and successes in order to develop task-specific and effective injury prevention campaigns
- Evaluate training methodologies to determine whether the work task operations are being performed in accordance with planning expectations
- Provide feedback to all members of the job:
- Positive lessons learned enhancing future work activities
- Negative lessons from poor work task performance
- Accurately develop Corrective Action Plans to correct identified deficiencies and track them to ensure the actions are adequately corrected in a timely manner
- Evaluate an incident against observations performed (this metric is a strong indicator of the effectiveness of the safety system and its implementation)
Now back to the real world. It is highly probable that there is not a project manager or safety professional that does not agree with performing all of the observations, analysis, training and communication… it just makes sense. However, performing all of these tasks without assistance would most likely become overwhelming. Some systems can demand multiple data entries and/or hours at the computer to make all of this happen.
But, what if you could complete the observations “in field” with a computer notebook. After that, the computer performed all of the analysis, report writing and communications as previously suggested? Too go to be true? Safety Indicators cloud-based software does exactly that!
The “end user,” with the ability to capture observations electronically, can manage the data to create the desired reports for evaluation, training and communicating at all levels associated with the work tasks. Safety Indicators works for Construction, General Industry or Project specific applications. These reports can be customized to provide management with “real time” evaluations of their Project Safety Culture and the effectiveness of their Safety Management System.
The results can be astounding. You can:
- identify problem locations, non-compliant subcontracting teams, or specific work tasks creating most of the problems.
- efficiently allocate resources to the areas of significant risk or consistent problem (management, training, morale etc).
- provide senior management, clientele and regulators with evidence of fulfillment of project specific requirements or statutory law.
- increase worker involvement and feedback highly demanded in programs such as ISMS, VPP Star, or ISO Certification.
- demonstrate management commitment by making a “field presence” or “walking the walk,” with the workers performing the tasks.
Safety Indicators is confident that they can provide your organization the necessary tools needed to implement an effective and sustainable safety management program for your Project, Office, Factory or Region.
Safety Indicators can provide your company with a World Class observational based safety strategy and the evidence of its implementation.